Advisory and User Board completed
A new member to complete the Advisory and User Board has been found: Prof. Fan Meng who is a Chief scientist of the Urban and Regional Atmospheric Environment Division at the Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences (CRAES) in Beijing.
Monitoring and analysis of air quality
Many partners have started to improve their retrieval algorithms and/or have started to collect data sets for the air quality in China. The first results will be delivered at the end of this year.
Validation of air quality monitoring methods
- Preparations are ongoing to install the MAX-DOAS instrument of AUTH in the Pearl River Delta.
- A table has been created with all information about the locations used for validation and a procedure for validation has been established. Time series of observations and model results will be made for the specific locations of these ground observations.
- A web-site www.marcopolo-panda.eu has been created for the data dissemination of both the PANDA as the MarcoPolo project. A password-protected section of this web-site has been made for the internal communication of the projects.
- MarcoPolo has been presented at several conferences, e.g. Dragon (contribution from KNMI and IAP), ILEAPS (contribution from FMI), GEIA (contributions from KNMI, BIRA, TNO, and Tsinghua Univ.), IAC (KNMI/TNO).
Results related to PANDA presented on conferences
- International Symposium on Atmospheric Environment Monitoring Technology and Application，14-15, May 2014, Beijng, China (Xingying Zhang, NSMC)
- Tenth Session of the Forum on Regional Climate Monitoring, Assessment and Prediction for Asia (FOCRAII) ,23-25, April 2014, Beijng, China (Xingying Zhang, NSMC)
- EGU, Vienna, Austria (Katinka Petersen, MPI-M)
- Air Quality Conference, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany (Katinka Petersen, MPI-M)
- MACCII conference, Brussels, Belgium (Guy Brasseur, MPI-M)
- IGAC conference in Natal/Brazil on 25 September 2014 (Michael Gauss, met.no and Guy Brasseur, MPI-M)
- AGU, San Francisco, US (Guy Brasseur, MPI-M)
Publications related to Panda
- published (accepted) a paper in the journal Atmos. Environ. title of “Analysis of seasonal ozone budget and spring ozone latitudinal gradient variation in the boundary layer of the Asia-Pacific region ” (Bin Zhu, NUIST)
- Paper submitted to AMT on retrieval method to enhance air pollution (NO2) detection from OMI data over china (Paul Monks, ULEIC)
Work in progress
- Work underway to progress database elements of in-situ data (ULEIC)
- survey on how the offical AQI is calculated for China (SCUEM)
set up of EMEP model with MACCity emissions; EMEP global model has already been run for 2010 on 0.5 degree resolution, but with HTAP.v2 emissions and then again with ECLIPSE emissions. (met.no)
collection of the in-situ data over North China from 2009 to 2011, plan of evaluation with satellite data (IAPCAS)
Work on the way for preparation of the summerschool (IUP-UB)
developement of ozone-tagging method and implementation into the Global chemistry model MOZART4 and into WRF-Chem (NUIST)
- set up of WRF-chem model with MACCity emissions, improvement of the modelling system/chemistry method. Evaluation of the model simulations for 2010 in progress, collection of in situ data in progress (MPI-M)